Sunday, January 18, 2015

A couple of things

Although I haven't posted to this blog in some time, I thought this would be a good time to get back in the game.

For the moment, I just wanted to post a couple of my current ventures.

I'm part of a team of graduate students organizing a symposium on protein science at Purdue. You can read more about this venture here: https://purdueproteins.wordpress.com/

I'm the content provider and writer for the website, in addition to my other roles on the organizing team. We're super excited to organize this symposium for the Purdue community, and have an excellent group of invited internal speakers as well as a superb keynote presenter, Dr. Tony Kossiakoff from the University of Chicago. Please check back on the website for more information, details of our program are forthcoming!

I'll also be reprising my role as a blogger for the 2015 Biophysical Society Annual meeting in a few short weeks in Baltimore. I loved writing about the meeting last year in San Francisco. You can read my past entries here: https://biophysicalsociety.wordpress.com/author/satchal/

Finally, for those of you interested in the structural biology of membrane proteins, we just had our first paper accepted on our studies of the bacterial ribose transporter. This is a long-standing project in the lab of my advisor, Dr. Cynthia Stauffacher. We have sought to better understand the function of this primary active transporter: how it receives its substrate, how it utilizes energy, and how the three protein components interact.

We find this transporter particularly interesting because its organization resembles that of a human chloride channel, CFTR, whose defunct form is implicated in the disease cystic fibrosis. This paper details our initial characterization of protein-protein interactions during transport. The early version is up, and you can read it here: http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2014/12/22/jbc.M114.621573.full.pdf+html
I'm particularly excited about this paper because, not only is it my first publication, it was written by me. It's been a thrilling feeling to see my own words published in an excellent journal.

I'll be back again soon.

No comments: